Thursday, July 31, 2014

A Waiting Mother



When you visit the condominium that my parents live in SL, you drive under the building to a guest parking lot.

The driveway to the guest parking spaces is dividing the building in two, so that their are condo's on the left as you drive in and condo's on the right as you drive in.  You drive thru an arch way of sorts.

I will have to get a photo as it is hard to describe. 

I arrived yesterday to go swimming  and exercising with my Mom.  I drove between the buildings in to the parking area to see my Mother with towel in hand waiting for my arrival, standing outside the building.

I was surprised to see her standing there and for a minute I had the distinct feeling that there was a child there waiting for me to arrive.

I am sure she felt enthusiasm for my arrival.  The act of standing there with towel in hand was very childlike and endearing, and the very same time disconcerting to feel the meekness, and anticipation 
she had for my arrival because her day was a  blank slate, aside for my visit. All of her days are a blank slate.

It is not possible to fill her days with too much.  With dementia, life changes, life diminishes in accomplishments.  Follow through and commitment fade into days of the past.   All the while the need to feel needed and accomplished remain. 

This is such new territory to watch my parents age.  

No comments:

Post a Comment