Thursday, July 31, 2014

Swimming at Terrace Falls

I don't have photos yet to go with this blog.

But I must write as I have deep feeling for an experience I had yesterday at my parents.


My Parents have moved up to SLC, Ut. from St. George, Ut.  They needed to downsize with the move. They had lived in St. George at least 10 years, I do not believe more than 14 years.

But they lived in a home with much space and room.  They had a large yard and all the equipment that comes with that.  As well as a pool and tennis court.  So they went from large house and yard, to a condominium  with 1 bedroom, family room and a large open living room/ kitchen. It was and still is quite the squeeze.

My Mom has always made a statement "Less is More" but, words and actions were never further apart on anything than her possessions and "less is more".

I went to help with the move.  I rearranged my week so that I could be of help to them in the packing up of possessions.   I lasted in St. George one day.   Old issues quickly resurfaced as well as Mom beginning into Alzheimer's or Dementia and it was an impossible thing to help her in that move.

The move now finished of 9 months ago.  They are living a a lovely complex that has everything they need within the buildings walls.  A Library, a workout room,  a tool project room, and an indoor pool. And a very adequate and comfortable living area for 2 people.  Two people and all their things is still a tight squeeze.

 I have as of this week, committed to go down to see them in SL on Monday, Wed., and Friday mornings and visit them, check in on them and also exercise with Mom in the workout room and then follow that by a lovely swim.

That is where my experience and memories occurred yesterday.  Mom and I had finished with the exercise equipment and headed to the pool, upon arriving we decided to call Dad and see if he wanted to join us in the pool.  He did join us for a just few minutes.  I was unprepared for all the memories that came flooding back.  Growing up we had a private pool from the time I was in 7th grade.

We spent lots of time in the pool, especially in the evenings when my Dad arrived home from work.

Being in the pool flooded my mind with memories of my Dad arriving home from work in the evenings.  He would change into his swimming suit, grab the paper, and stand in the pool with the paper on the pool's edge reading the news.  His legs would be spread apart in a stance that would bob up and down as the water in the pool sloshed around him from our pool activities.

Years have gone by.

As I watched my Dad yesterday undo his robe (suit cover-up) with a quite shaky arms, the process of undoing his robe an obvious exertion for him I won't lie was quite an emotional tug at my heart. He slowly disrobed, took off his slippers and joined us in the hot tub for no more than 5 minutes and then the pool again for not much more than 5 minutes and then he was out and struggling to again robe and get on his slippers, and head back up to their condo.

 While our three heads bobbed in the water together for those few short moments yesterday a lifetime of memories and love flooded over me very unexpectedly.  It was a tender moment for me.

I think this 3 day a week commitment will be a good things for all of us...



No comments:

Post a Comment