Monday, September 1, 2014

Silver Dollars


Yesterday at our family dinner, Opa gave everyone older than 12 a silver dollar.

These silver dollars were part of a collection of my grandfathers, William Peter Knecht.
He collected silver dollars and other coins.

We were each given one and told that it is like the family.
Opa would like it to symbolize "Strength and Stability" of the family.

Certainly in past years and for many years, the US coin and currency always stood for both of those attributes.  Unfortunately today I don't feel that the US currency is nearly a symbol of
the same Strength and Stability as in the past.

But what a lovely memento these silver dollars are for those of us that were given them.

PK's family still needs to receive theirs as well as Matt's family.

Altogether Opa had about 60+  silver dollars that he gave out.
The dates on these dollars dated back to 1880 and newer.
There were two styles of coins.

The ones prior to 1921 and the silver dollars after 1921.

I have the two styles depicted above.
I need to get Nate and Becky their coins, as well as Spencer and Anna, another coin each for their spouses.

I loved that Opa shared those with us.  
I have asked Spencer to calligraphy

Strength
&
Stablity

for me.  I think I will put mine together in some wall hanging.  Maybe a shadow box or something.



No comments:

Post a Comment