Tuesday, July 16, 2013

SS United States


I have recently thought of some experiences I had when about 9-10 years old aboard the SS United States.  My family was returning from living in Nuremberg Germany.  I believe this would have been in the year 1965 or 1966.  We traveled home to America aboard this large ship.

I am just now finding out all kinds of details about this ocean liner.  I am going to have to keep thinking and write the memories in another blog.


The ship passing NYC skyline.


I have fond memories of the pool during rough seas.  The water would tilt from side to side.  There were bars all around the inside of the pool that you could hold onto.  
I found a blog today that had old family footage of their trip on this ship it brought back a flood of memories.

This ship is now in harbor in Philadelphia with an ongoing crusade to save a piece of American History, the SS United States.
This ship I believe still holds the record for transatlantic speed for such a vessel.  Her top speed being 44 mph.
It is larger in length than the Titanic. I believe it was 10 stories high.
It was built of metal so that it was completely fireproof.  
It is narrow enough to fit through the Panama Canal.

It cost 79.4 million dollars in 1950.  That equals 702 million dollars in today's dollars.
It had a life of 17 years.  1952-1969

It had the passenger capacity of 1,928 passengers, with a 900 person crew.

This info is taken from the crusade to save this ship.  When I sailed on it, I was young and clueless to any of this, it was just a huge adventure.







No comments:

Post a Comment