Saturday, April 23, 2011

Happy

I saw several small books in the gift shops we visited yesterday.

It was interesting 2 of the books had titles like:

                       The Happiness Guide.
                                      &
                        Something else about Happiness.

I was impressed looking through them and convinced that happiness is found in the small things. I was impressed with some miniture daffodils yesterday in our wondering in the gardens. These miniture daffodils caused me as much joy to look at as did the vast flower gardens.



I think joy is found in the very small things.

Karen shared with me a saying they have on their wall. (I can't remember it when I find it I will share it)
     Happiness is something you decide ahead of time.

In looking for Karen's quote I googled happiness quotes and boy did I find some good ones:

     A table, a chair, a bowl of fruit and a violin; what else does a man need to be happy? Albert Einstein

    No one is in control of your happiness but you; therefore, you have the power to change anything about your life that you want to change.   Barbara de Angelis

    Each morning when I open my eyes I say to myself:  I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day today, and I am going to be happy in it.    Groucho Marx   
 ( with a name like that he would have to have made that decision many a time in his life!!!! He would have to be offsetting his name.)




And then there was this quote:

    The greatest happiness is to transform one's feelings into actions.    Madame de Stael


And this qoute:

    Joy can be real only if people look upon their life as a service, and have a definate object in life outside themselves & their personnal happiness. Leo Tolstoy




I had a meeting the other night and I loved this quote given there.


  "When we help, we inadvertently take away from people more than we could ever give them; we may deminish their self esteem, their sense of worth, integrity and wholeness... When you help someone they owe you. But serving, like healing, is mutual. There is no debt. I am served as the person I am serving. When I help I have the feeling of satisfaction. When I serve I have a feeling of gratitude. These are very different things... We can only serve that which we are profoundly connected, that which we are willing to touch. We serve life not because it is broken but because it is hloy... I think I would go so far as to say that fixing and helping  may often be the work of the ego, and service is the work of the soul. They may look similar if you're watching from the outside, but the inner experience is different. The outcome is often different, too... Only service heals."
           Dr. Rachel Naomi Remen (University of California San Francisco)



Wow this has been a rambling... I have always loved a good quote though!!


These little daffodils so bring me a lot of happiness and I will try today to put that into action doing something for others to turn that happiness into joy...  

I think I will clean my house today. I think that will bring me joy! You see both me and my family will benefit from that service!

    





No comments:

Post a Comment