Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Dictionary

I have seen Mom give a dictionary for a wedding present.

One might think that an interesting gift.

When I was younger, when I didn't know how to spell a word or what a word meant,  I was always encouraged to look in the dictionary.

One of Russ' most used college books was his orange Webster's Dictionary. It has been in our home for years. It has a cover still intact, but only half intact. It is a well loved and well used book evident from its cover and condition.


I have the 2 large Webster Dictionaries that were in the home I grew up in. The books that I was always directed to when I needed help with a word's definition or spelling. I have come to love these books. They were very loved in their original home.

When one would walk into my parents study one of the 2 dictionaries was on a book stand open for anyone to quickly investigate its gifts.

I now have these in my home. They are not used nearly as much as the Orange Webster but since that dictionary has limited words and these larger volumes hold more definitions they are looked at as a second source of a words definition.

Dictionaries are wonderful treasures. I too, as my Mom have come to love and treasure a  dictionary. I have an idea as I begin my writing class that I will oft need these books.

Times change and I love my computer, and I have found it to be my most time savvy method of looking up words definitions. I am a little saddened. But I still find myself going to the quickest source to look up words, my computer.

The two large dictionaries serve, (on a side table in my living room), as a base for a lovely lamp.


I will most likely continue to quickly use my computer to look up a word. But I am assured that these other dictionaries will be used still too. It is guaranteed that they will remain treasures.

No comments:

Post a Comment