Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Antiqueing

I wrote about a basket of lace my Mom had given me years back.

It reminded me of past days with my Mom when we would like to visit antique stores.

I really don't think we purchased much of anything in those visits. But one trip I did purchase a set of china that was not complete and obviously had had much use and even had it appeared some smoke damage to some of the plates.





I got some of the china down today and washed the dust off it. I thought it would be nice to note.
I loved the delicate pattern & the colors of the flowers.  I also noted that its maker was Wedgewood.  That is an English maker that my Mom had some pieces from thus, my interest.


I know that means nothing but that is what you do when you antique. Find items that mean something to you!

The fun thing about these dishes is the crackle of the glaze.  It has a nice aged crackle in the glaze.

I really have no use for alot of things these days,  as I have way to many things at this stage in my life.  But this has been a fun memory for me to remember as that was something that linked my Mom and me, interest in old items.

My Mom's Father was always bringing antiques home to their home after his travels and thus my Mom's interest in antiques.  She would share those items & and stories about them with me as I was growing up.

I guess I will use this blog and mention that my Mom always set a table in the Dining room on Sundays and we would eat a lovely meal on her various sets of china.  In fact I was often responsible to set those tables and I enjoyed choosing and setting out our place settings, the centerpieces, table clothes & napkins etc.

Many of us don't have china cabinets these days, where we could store our china so that our china would be readily available to us, to use as it was back then.  We don't use china much except for the holidays at my home.  Many of us don't have formal dining rooms either where these kind of dishes could be kept and tables set without disruption of living space.

I am glad for my memories of fine dining in the home I grew up in. ( I have to say that home also embraced paper plates when they became plentiful so there was real balance in that home,  not at all a stuffy formal home.)

 But I have years of memories of a fine meal together.

Thanks Mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment