Monday, May 30, 2011

Two Babies & Two Blue Eggs

Our Robin update...

I was able to remove the screen from the window today when the Momma was off her nest.
This makes it much easier to take pictures.


Look what is in the nest this morning!!!
I was able to see one baby yesterday and then by evening I could see a hole in another egg. It was beginning its hatching.

Today we have 2 babies.  I read on google yesterday that an egg will hatch a day. If that is so, another of these eggs should hatch today or tomorrow.

It is so thrilling to watch this nest of activity.

I watched this morning as the Momma left the nest the Dad came in and stood on the side of the nest, keeping guard. He would feed the babies and moved them with his beak.  He looked like a proud Pappa!!
As soon as the Momma returned the Pappa left.

The Mom then snuggles down over the nest fluffing out her feathers and positioning herself till she feels she is just right over the nest.  She then settles in.  I have seen her with beads of rain on her back and wings just staying put covering those babies, no mind to her condition.  I think the oil on her feathers insulates her from the moisture.

I have see one of these babies lift its head and open its beak for food already!

It is fascinating to be so privy to this little world.

No comments:

Post a Comment